COVID-19: When and How to Alert the Authorities
In the last few days, many citizens have been calling the call management centres for non-urgent requests impacting emergency services. Contact the appropriate responders when dealing with COVID-19 to avoid overloading the various response services.
Any of the following situations should be reported to the SQ:
Any unauthorized outdoor event where there is a gathering of people who are in close proximity to each other (less than 2 meters), with the exception of groups of people occupying the same residence.
Any unauthorized indoor event that brings together several people with the exception of:
– a group of people in a work environment not covered by the suspension of activities
– in a public place for the purpose of obtaining a service or property
– in a means of transportation
– a meeting of occupants of a private residence and any other person who provides a service or whose support is required.
Any situation in which people who must comply with containment (e.g., return from a trip, diagnosis of COVID-19) go outside their residence.
Examples of situations to be reported :
– Large indoor party-type gatherings, people not living in the residence
– Outdoor gatherings with a distance of less than 2 metres between people (not living in the same place)
– Sporting, cultural and religious gatherings
– Non-essential businesses that are open.
If you witness this type of situation, you can contact the police at 310-4141 or *4141.
These situations do not have to be reported to the police:
Any group of people occupying the same residence in an outdoor or indoor location.
Any citizen in the company of another citizen who respects the physical distance of 2 meters.
– a couple residing in the same place who are taking a walk outside
– a family distancing themselves away from others
– neighbors talking with a distance of 2 meters between them.
Reminder: for all questions concerning COVID-19: quebec.ca/coronavirus or the Quebec government information line at 1 877 644-4545.
*Source: Sûreté du Québec
Translated by Town of Brome Lake